It is not uncommon to come across various errors while using the computer system and associated devices. Especially when external devices are considered, this error is more prevalent. Sometimes you may not be able to print the final document from a printer even after all the prior steps were executed smoothly.
You will be able to see different error messages, depending on the problem or the error that has caused the issue. You will notice that these errors are more common while using Microsoft word applications like Word and Excel.
When you try to get a print out using these applications, the following error message may appear on your screen, “Active directory domain services is currently unavailable error“.
If you’re looking for a resolution for that, we’re here to help! Here we show you how to solve active directory services is currently unavailable error. This fixed we’re giving on this page will work on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & XP. Read on!
- Active Directory Domain Services Is Currently Unavailable Error
Why this error happens in your PC?
This is because the printer hasn’t been detected by the system and hence documents cannot be printed. In this article, we will go through different ways to solve this error.
Another peculiar thing is that you might not find this error while using other applications as it is seen that they can easily detect the printer, unlike the MS applications. This is because the user permission doesn’t allow the printer to be listed in the MS office. So the printer won’t be detected as well.
Some users think that the problem is due to Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 operating systems. And also, this problem is seen for all major brands of printers like HP, Lexmark, Canon etc. We have seen this problem in systems using Windows 7 version operating system too. So it may not be the problem of your printer that is causing this error but the issues of user permission that is responsible for the same.
So let’s delve into ways to solve this error.
Here we have listed a few ways which you can try implementing to resolve this error. Let us go through them one by one without further ado.
Always start with the basics. So try troubleshooting your printer to solve the active directory domain services unavailable issue. You can troubleshoot your printer using the following steps.
- Press Windows+W keys and type in ‘troubleshooting‘.
- You will find an option ‘view all’ in the right panel of the troubleshooting control panel menu. Click on it. Now choose the printer from the window that will appear on your screen.
- Now, follow the basic troubleshooting steps by using the troubleshooter tool. It will help you find and fix some of the errors that might have occurred.
Usually, this method should be able to help you fix the error that has occurred and allow you to use your printer without further issues. Don’t panic if this doesn’t work so well. You can always try the other methods that are listed below.
If the problem persists, check for network installation issues. You can do that easily by following the steps given below.
- Open your computer’s Control Panel and look for the ‘Printers’ option.
- Select it.
- In the ‘Printers‘ option, select the ‘Add New Printer‘ option.
- Finally, click on the ‘Network Printer’ option that you can see and press ‘Browse’ to look for available printers.
This method might help detect your printer and thus fix the ‘the active directory domain services is currently unavailable’ error. If not, try the next method.
Another easy method that works is reinstalling the required drivers for your printer. Just uninstall and reinstall the drivers. If it doesn’t work, try the following steps too.
- Open the run command by pressing the Window+R keys together.
- In the prompt which appears, type in ‘services.msc‘.
- You will see the ‘Print spooler‘ option. Select it.
- Now right click on this and select ‘Properties’.
- You should be able to see that the startup type is ‘Automatic’ and service status should be ‘Running’If you find that it is already running, stop and restart it.
This method might work for you. If it does, great. If it doesn’t, don’t worry. There are a few more things that you can try to fix this active directory domain services unavailable error in windows 10.
Another method that you can try is rebooting your router and turning the firewall off. You can achieve this by following these steps.
- Reboot the router the usual way and turn off the firewall for a small while.
- Restart your system.
- After that is done, open the Control Panel.
- In it, select ‘Printers’.
- Now choose ‘Add New Printer‘ option.
- Now press ‘Browse for Printer’ and add the device.
Now, this method should do the trick and solve the ‘the active directory domain services is currently unavailable’ error message. If it doesn’t, fear not. We still have some more tricks up our sleeve.
Before you start with this method, we recommend that you create a system restore point in case anything goes wrong. If you do this, you will be able to use this to restore the Windows. Now follow these steps to change the PrintPorts and Windows permissions.
- Launch the Registry editor.
- This can be done by going to the ‘Start’ option and typing in ‘regedit‘.
- Locate the following through the given path.
- Expand the ‘CurrentVersion’.
- Now right click ‘Devices’.
- Now select ‘Permissions’.
- Check the Full Control Box.
- Repeat the steps above to set full control permission on PrintPorts and Windows.
- Test your printer to see if the error persists.
Some other methods that you can try to fix ‘The Active Directory Domain Services Is Currently Unavailable’ error are performing a full system scan for malware that can cause printer errors or by repairing your registry. The latter can be done using some trustworthy software like CCleaner. Just make sure that you backup your data before this so that you can get everything intact in case something goes wrong.
The methods given above should solve the active directory domain services is currently unavailable error. Go through all of it and you will find something that works for you. Hope the article helped you and was clear and easy to understand. If you still has any issues, do comment your queries on the comment section given below, we’ll try to solve it for you!