We all know about the issue of “this copy of windows is not genuine” that shows up in the Windows operating system. We all know how irritating that error is. If you are a windows user who is using a pirated copy, I am pretty sure you know the pain. Every time you start your computer there is a pop up saying “This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine”.
Also, the wallpaper of your desktop turns into black and there is the irritating message at the right down corner of your desktop. Now, for most people, all of these things can be pretty annoying.
So how to solve this issue? If you have the same question in your mind, do not worry, we have got your back. In this article, we have shared some of the working ways to solve this copy of windows is not genuine error.
These steps can work for the most common windows versions like Windows XP, Windows 8 and Windows 10. If you are one such windows user who is facing the same issue, then this is the guide you should follow. So let’s just head into the topic without wasting any more time.
There are 4 different steps to fix the error of this copy of windows is not genuine. Let’s see them one by one:
How to Solve This Copy of Windows is not Genuine Error
Method 1: Uninstall the KB971033 update
In the first step, you have to uninstall the KB971033 update from your computer. So to uninstall the KB971033 update follow these instructions:
- At first, you have to go to the control panel of your computer. You can do so by clicking on your windows start menu.
- Now you have to click on the System & Security. In case you are a Windows XP user, there is no need for clicking on system and security.
- Now you have to click on the Windows Update.
- Then you have to click on the View Installed Updates.
- Now here you will get a list of all the installed updates. Now you have to find the KB971033 Update.
- Once you have found the KB971033 Update, right click on it and click on uninstall. Get done with the uninstalling process and you are good to go.
Method 2: Using CMD
- At first, go to the windows start menu and search for CMD. Now right click on it and open it as run the Command Prompt as administrator. Make sure you have opened the CMD as an administrator, otherwise the method will not work.
- Now here you have to enter the “SLMGR –REARM” command and hit the enter button. Once you are done hitting the enter button you will get a popup asking you to restart your computer.
- Now simply restart your computer and you are good to go.
However on some windows version the “SLMGR –REARM” command may not work. So you can try out the “SLMGR /REARM” command as an alternative. Also, there can be a few more errors when you do this, so here are all the errors that you could face while running the command.
Error 1: One of the most common error is the “This maximum allowed number of rearms has been exceeded.” So to fix this error here are the following steps that you can follow:
- Press the windows button and R together to open the run menu.
- Type down regedit.exe and hit enter.
- Now follow this following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> WindowsNT -> Current version -> SoftwareProtectionPlatform.
- Now here you have to look for the SkipRearm and click on modify. Now you have to change its value from 0 to 1.
- Restart your computer. After restarting rerun the step 2 steps and you are good to go.
However, the main problem comes while typing the command. So make sure you have typed the code correctly. Also, make sure you have opened you’re the CMD as an administrator else you will face the problem.
Method 3: Disable Windows Update
On this step, you have to disable the windows update feature. Now to do this you have to follow the following steps:
- At first, go to the Control Panel.
- Click on System & Security.
- Then click on Turn Automatic Updates On or Off.
- Then Select the Never Check For Updates option.
Now by doing all the above steps you will get rid of the issue of this copy of windows is not genuine. However here is a bonus step that you can follow. Just in case if you are still facing the issue. So here we go with the last step:
Method 4: Delete the slui.exe file
This is the quickest step one can follow. On this step, you have to find the slui.exe file. So to delete the file here are the steps that you should follow
- At first, you have to find the slui file. However to make it easy for you here is the path for the file C:\Windows\System32\slui.exe. Once you have found the file then simply delete the file.
- Follow the above step carefully 😉
Conclusion: This Copy of Windows is not Genuine
By following the above steps you can easily get rid of the this copy of windows is not genuine error. However, with a pirated copy of windows, you will keep facing similar issues with your computer. So it is advisable to get a genuine copy of windows to get a permanent solution from all the windows problems and issues.