So you just came across a pop up showing “Screen Overlay Detected“, and you’re wondering what to do and how to rectify it, aren’t you? You’ve come to the right page, we’ve got a complete fix on how to rectify this error and you can enjoy the app you’re trying to start. I’ll explain how to turn off screen overlay detected in your Android phone in very simple steps, read on!
Screen Overlay Detected Error : How to Fix It?
- 1 Screen Overlay Detected Error : How to Fix It?
- 1.1 Screen Overlay Detected : What is it?
- 1.2 Screen Overlay Detected : How to solve the error?
Screen Overlay Detected : What is it?
First let’s talk about what is “Screen Overlay” in Android, so that you’ll get a good idea on what the hell is happening!
Starting with Android Marshmallow, a small error started to pop up, “Screen Overlay Detected“, which will not allow some apps to open/run. That makes it a real pain in the a$$.
Android has introduced this new feature, “Draw over other apps“, in Marshmallow & Nougat, which allows some apps to “draw” over other apps. Which basically means the app can show info on top of other apps. For example, Facebook Messenger uses this feature for their chat heads to be shown over other apps. And the famous Twilight app makes the screen reddish by using the same feature.
Now when installing new apps, sometimes Android will show the pop up “Screen Overlay Detected“. That’s because some apps which “Draw over other apps” permission enabled is running on background or foreground.
Actually, this is an extra security measure from Android, to stop some rogue apps you may have mistakenly installed from any sources other than Play Store, from taking advantage of the default Android settings.
These apps may (or can) do unwanted things when the overlay is running and asking for permissions. Android is not going to allow this, so the Screen Overlay Detected error pop up will be shown.
But there’s nothing to worry, this is a normal thing and it persists in Android as a security feature, and is shown to people running Android Marshmallow and above.
Screen Overlay Detected : How to solve the error?
- First and foremost thing to avoid this Screen Overlay Detected error is to exit the apps that are having Screen Overlay or floating windows.
- Apps such as Facebook Messenger, Twilight, Lux, Internet Speed Meter, Clean Master, etc. are the main cause in this case, as they’ll always be having screen overlay option enabled.
- If you’re having any of these apps and they’re running (like Messenger chat head or Twilight filter), simple fix would be to exit the app before installing any new app or after it asks to disable Screen Overlay.
Bonus Tip : Uninstall Clean Master, DU Speed Booster, Go Speed & other cleaners and speed boosters from your phone. Not only they can be causing screen overlay detected pop up every damn time, they’ll be actually the apps that are causing more battery drain and ram usage. Oh by the way, the data they show cleaned are mostly fake and RAM cleaning is not required for Android (I’ll talk about this in a different post:) ).
This works only if you know which app is causing the screen overlay problem, and if you’re not sure about that, you can follow the next method given below.
In this method, we’re going to disable all the screen overlays by all apps all together to run your new app for the first time. So when screen overlay detected pop up is shown in an app, follow the below given steps :
- Open Settings by clicking on the gear icon in notification bar.
- Scroll down, you’ll find the “Apps” option. Click on that.
- Now click on the gear button on top right, as given in this image.
- In this screen. you’ll find “Draw over other apps”, click on that.
- You can alternatively find this option by searching the “Settings” menu for “Draw”. You can just click on the magnification glass icon on the top right on the Settings menu for that.
- Now, in the “Draw over other apps” screen, you can see the apps which are having the Screen overlay/Draw over other apps permission.
- You can click on each app and uncheck “Permit drawing over other apps”.
- Now, clear the app you were trying to run from “Recents screen” and open the app again, you’ll not see the “Screen Overlay Detected” again!
- One more step is left, that is to reactivate the screen overlays that you’ve disabled before. Just go back to the “Draw over other apps” settings from recents and recheck all the apps you’ve disabled. Else, you won’t be able to use those apps.
Additionally, if you find some unknown apps in there, you know what to do, uninstall them! This must solve the screen overlay detected Android error on most phones.
These steps are for stock Android (Nexus, Moto, and more). For Samsung & LG the options are little changed, but you can find the “Draw over other apps” option by using the search in settings. Check below to find out how to fix screen overlay detected error in various brands :
Screen Overlay Detected Samsung
Here are the instructions to solve screen overlay detected in Samsung phones. It’s a little different than that of normal Android phones, because Samsung uses custom interface, “TouchWiz”. Here are the steps for that.
- Open “Settings” on your Samsung phone by clicking the gear icon in the notification drawer.
- Scroll down and you’ll find “Applications” menu, open that.
- On “Applications, you’ll see “Applications manager” option, click on that.
- Now press on the 3 dot menu on top right of the screen, here you’ll see the option called “Apps that can appear on top”, click on that.
- You’ll see a list of apps that has the option enabled. Disable each of the app from this menu.
- Now you can go on and open the app you were trying open (which Screen Overlay Detected was showing).
- Come back to the “Apps that can appear on top” menu and reenable all the apps you’ve disabled previously.
One more thing, in Samsung phones, one handed operation can also cause this. So if you’re getting screen overlay detected pop up while you’re using one handed operation, just turn that off from settings and try.
That’s it, you’ve now solved the screen overlay detected error in Samsung phone. This method will work on phones with the latest version of Touchwiz/Android Lollipop+, including flagships like Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, Note 7 and other mid tier phones such as Samsung Galaxy A9, A8, A7, A5, A3, J5, J7, On 7, On 5, etc. If you’re having any difficulties, you can just comment down for help.
Screen Overlay Detected Motorola
Motorola devices has vanilla Android UI, which means you can just follow the method I mentioned above. This will work for all of the Moto devices such as Moto Z, Moto G4 Plus, Moto G4, Moto G4 Play, Moto G3, Moto G2, Moto G, Moto E, Moto E2, Moto E3, E3 Power, Moto X Play, Moto X Style & Moto M. But the process is a little different for Moto M chinese version, as it’s using Vibe UI from Lenovo. You can use the method 1 from above for that.
Screen Overlay Detected OnePlus
I’m having a OnePlus 2, so the screenshots you can see above is taken from my phone. It works for all OnePlus devices such as OnePlus One, OnePlus 2, OnePlus X, OnePlus 3 & OnePlus 3T.
Screen Overlay Detected HTC
HTC is like Samsung, it is having their custom Sense UI on top of Android. For HTC, you can just search for “Draw over other apps” on the search bar in settings to find the menu of apps that has draw over other apps feature enabled. You can continue as we mentioned in the above steps. You can use this method to remove “Screen overlay detected” pop-up on most of the new HTC devices such as HTC 10, 10 Evo, 10 lifestyle, HTC One M9, One M9s, One M8, One x9, HTC Desire 10, Desire 10 Pro, Desire 830, One A9, etc.
Screen Overlay Detected LG
LG is also having custom UI over the top of Android, although they haven’t named it like Samsung or HTC. You can follow the method I mentioned above for HTC to turn off screen overlay in LG devices. The method will be the same for newer LG devices like LG V20, V10, LG G5, G5 SE, LG G4, LG X5, X Max, X Mach, X Power, X Style, etc.
Hope these methods worked out for you, and now you can enjoy the apps you were trying to install without worrying about the screen overlay detected pop up ever again! Do share this page with your friends, if they’re also facing the same issue when installing new apps. Peace!